At FUUSE, we believe in inspiring and encouraging participation by the congregation in local, national, and global issues promoting peace, human rights, economic justice and eco-justice.
Social Justice Committee (SJC)
One of the most active committees at FUUSE, the Social Justice Committee is guided by the following mission: To build awareness, educate and take action on issues focused on creating fair and just economies and healthier communities.
How We Work
The Social Justice Committee uses a focus group structure whereby members choose a specific area of interest and then brainstorm and develop ways to educate and/or promote action among church members, friends and community members. Focus groups include a Water Affinity Group, a Forest Affinity Group, and SJC is looking into forming a group that explores Core Values. The committee particularly welcomes collaboration with the Children’s Religious Education Committee.
Some of the many Activities SJC Members have Organized:
- Book group discussion of the 8th Principle, which addresses racism
- Art display and environmental lecture during Water Awareness Month
- Spring Climate Festival
- 3-Part Televised Series on Climate Change: Justice for Future Generations
- Democracy House events (2019-2020) addressing “Race Matters: The Case for Reparations”
- Collaboration with the Racial Unity Team and the Black Heritage Trail of New Hampshire
- Panel on ethical investing
- Celebration of the culture of democracy
- Planning for a Biodiversity and Memorial Garden on FUUSE grounds
Meeting times and locations are listed on the FUUSE Calendar.